BRUSSELS - Voicing concern about tax evasion that is estimated at one trillion euros, European Commission President Jose-Manuel Barroso said Tuesday that EU leaders will meet at a one-day summit on Wednesday to negotiate solution. The European Union can't afford to let tax evasion go on the way it is. Such large amounts of money, currently sitting in tax havens, would be greatly beneficial ...
FRANKFURT - Germany's central bank Deutsche Bundesbank expects the country's economy to improve "markedly" in the second quarter relying on signals of pick up in industrial orders and likelihood of weather related downturn in construction sector no longer impacting investment sentiments a development that could boost the wider eurozone as it struggles to get out of recession. "Overall ...
A downed utility pole along May Avenue in South Oklahoma City. (Holly Bailey/Yahoo News) OKLAHOMA CITY--Anthony Connel was sitting in traffic off of South 149th Street, about a mile from his home, when he saw it happen: A dark black cloud, so ominous and wide that it didn't even look like a tornado, dropped to the ground--and headed straight for his house. Connel, a sales manager at ...
Internal Revenue Service official Lois Lerner, who leads the exempt organizations division under scrutiny for targeting conservative groups that applied for tax-exempt status, is refusing to testify before Congress, the Los Angeles Times reports. Lerner was supposed to appear before the House Oversight Committee Wednesday. ...
massive search was underway Tuesday for a 15-year-old girl abducted near an Iowa bus stop, after authorities said a man who is suspected of taking her and another girl was found dead. Dozens of federal, state and local law enforcement are searching by air, land and water ...
The Killing Fields
Based on a true story that is both horrifying and uplifting, "The Killing Fields" is a powerful portrait of how the atrocities of a world gone crazy tested the friendship and loyalty of two men: Sydney Schanberg (Sam Waterston), a "New York Times" correspondent in Cambodia at the end of the Vietnam War, and Dith Pran (Haing S. Ngor), his Cambodian assistant, translator, and friend. When the film o ... ...
Senate panel approves weapons for Syrian rebels- Israeli military chief issues stark warning on Syria
A Senate panel has voted to provide weapons to rebels battling the regime of Syrian President Bashar Assad. The vote by the Foreign Relations Committee on Tuesday marked the first time that lawmakers have backed the aggressive military step of arming vetted opposition forces. The vote was 15-3. The United Nations estimates that more than 70,000 people have been killed after more than two years ...
Disney division to reduce staff. "We are implementing changes across the company to enhance our continued growth while smartly managing costs," the sports media giant said in a statement Tuesday. "While difficult, we are confident that it will make us more competitive, innovative and productive." The company would not say how many jobs are being eliminated, but they include ...
to improve election systems in the United States . "As I said in my State of the Union Address, when any American, no matter where they live or what their party, is denied that right [to vote] simply because too many obstacles stand in their way, we are betraying our ideals," Obama said in a statement Tuesday. "We have an obligation to ensure that all eligible voters have the ...
By Paul Carrel and Eva KuehnenFRANKFURT (Reuters) - A top U.S. Federal Reserve official urged the European Central Bank on Tuesday to consider employing a U.S.-style quantitative easing programme to counter slowing inflation and recession in the euro zone.The ECB has engaged in bond purchases in the past but has always withdrawn an equivalent amount of money from markets to ensure its ...
ABU DHABI // The European Parliament will consider granting Emiratis visa-free entry to the European Schengen area next year, the Foreign Minister told the FNC yesterday. Over the past year the UAE has increased its efforts to win visa-free entry to the Schengen area - a group of 26 countries in western Europe. In February, Sheikh Abdullah Al Hamed, undersecretary at the Ministry of Foreign ...
Nothing will ever completely replace playing the game I love, however I feel like I'm starting a new adventure and I'm genuinely excited about what lies ahead. I'm fortunate to have been given many opportunities throughout my career and now I feel it's my time to give back.
The world's best known footballer was speaking after formally announcing his retirement.
The Plaza, New York City
After a prompt and friendly check-in at The Plaza I was escorted by the bellman to the 15th floor to ...Keep reading
Record Your Vote
Do you take the threat of North Korea seriously?
Europe SunEurope Sun | All the News from Europe
The Sun covers all of Europe, and we are not talking about the weather. The Europe Sun is a major source of news for Europeans everywhere. People every day turn to the Europe Sun for breaking regional news, as well as stories from the vast number of countries and key cities in Europe. The online newspaper also brings you news coverage from the international scene, and business news and reports from the financial markets. There is a news poll regularly updated with votes on topics making the news. European and world sports cater to the sporting fans, and there are news articles about travel, lifestyle, stories on seniors and more. Weather forecasts are live. Covering Europe is no easy task, but The Europe Sun makes it look so. You can buy a newspaper in each city, or even the occasional regional newspaper, or you can look to the Europe Sun. Every day you will find news headlines from European countries Switzerland, Spain, Macedonia, the Netherlands, Russia, Portugal, Poland, Greece, Ireland, Italy, Austria, Belgium, Croatia, Cyprus, Finland, France, Hungary and Greece. Of course there is a heap more. Get the big stories from Paris, Vienna, Amsterdam, Brussels, Athens, Berlin, Dublin, Monte Carlo, Lisbon, Madrid, Barcelona, Stockholm, Geneva, and Zurich. Whether in Europe, on your way to, or from, this great land, go via The Sun.
Massive corporations like Coca-Cola have a primary goal: Sell their products to make money. Sometimes, if they're lucky, that goal aligns with another endeavor: Make peace. A new three-minute advertisement released by the beverage company this week aims to do both.
Coca-Cola filmed the advertisement in two locations: Pakistan and India, South Asia's nuclear-armed neighbors mired in political mistrust that has spurred three historic wars. The company set up Coke vending machines outfitted with live-streaming cameras and 3D touchscreen technology in shopping malls in Lahore, Pakistan and New Delhi, India to entice people to virtually cross the border dividing them.
Curious onlookers were invited to stand before the machine, from which they were filmed and streamed in real time to the screen of the vending machine on the other side of the border, and interact with the person they saw peering back at them.
Coke and the advertising group Leo Burnette asked people to interact with the strangers opposite them before drinking a can of Coke dispensed from the machine.
Men and women, old and young, "touchrdquo; hands, wave, dance, toast and make peace signs through the screens. ...
- Research and Markets ICT Market Report 201213 BelgiumLuxembourg
- Gilbert targets Tour of Belgium win
- WTAs Brussels Open postponed due to rain
- EU leaders look to end Apple-style tax avoidance schemes
- Finnair Cargo Expands Air Freight Capacity for Brussels Tokyo
- Overall economy likely to pick up in Q2 says German central bank
- New England football kit compared to old German strip
- New England Kit Looks Like Old German Strip
- Research and Markets ICT Market Report 201213 Germany
- Business indicators all looking strong as IMEX opens in Frankfurt
- Indo-Swiss agreement on health care
- Indo- Swiss bilateral meet held at Geneva
- Prehistoric crocodiles ruled the roost in South America study finds
- India Switzerland pact soon to boost healthcare ties
- Disaster Risk Reduction and Sustainable Development Should Be Closely Linked Say Global Platform Speakers in Geneva
- Italians ignore Americas Cup ban take to SF waters
- Pope Francis performed ‘exorcism’ in St. Peter’s Square Italian media reports
- Italian gun executive mistaken as terrorist actually died in 2012
- Pope performs exorcism Vatican denies video footage
- Video Italian man scales St. Peters Basilica in economy protest
- Delevingne turns down DiCaprios advances
- Paris Hiltons beau shoves harassing female fan at Cannes
- Jennifer Lawrence and Liam Hemsworth narrowly escape fire hazard at Cannes
- Eva Longoria mocks wardrobe malfunction by flashing undies in sheer dress
- Andhra markets GAME city at Cannes
- Soccer-Ajax coach De Boer extends contract until 2017
- Discovering A Family Members Lost Time In Amsterdam
- Health reforms will give too much power to insurers dentists
- Prison spending cut plan will hit public safety say legal experts
- Dutch-based AkzoNobel management to be brought together in new AkzoNobel Center in 2015
- Real Madrid waves off compensation for Jose Mourinhos release clause
- Woods not interested in truce with Gracia anytime soon
- Real Madrid president says coach Mourinho wasnt sacked
- Barcelona to make 20 mln pounds move for Man City skipper Vincent Kompany
- Spain not yet on Brazils level Iniesta
Subscribe to our Newsletter
Get the latest Europe Sun headlines delivered to your inbox.
- Warsaw partisan fought in 2 uprisings
- Polish mine launches salt photo contest
- Muslim religious leaders meet Holocaust survivors heroes
- Boruch Spiegel one of last surviving fighters of Warsaw ghetto uprising dies at 93
- Anthis Warsaw career centers get tech grants