WASHINGTON - Rupert Murdoch's News Corporation Friday announced the planned separation of the $76-billion conglomerate into two distinct publicly traded companies, with one to be renamed 21st Century Fox and the publishing firm to retain the News Corp brand. The split has been formally approved by the Board of Directors. The Company announced appointments to the Boards of Directors of both ...
BEIJING - Chinese regulators Friday announced that they have signed a memorandum of understanding with their US counterparts giving American authorities increased access to documents from Chinese audit firms. The signing of the MOU between China Securities Regulatory Commission (CSRC), the Ministry of Finance (MOF) and the US Public Company Accounting Oversight Board (PCAOB) is a significant ...
ZAGREB/LONDON - Croatia, soon to become the 28th member of the European Union,- is looking to undiscovered oil and gas fields in the Adriatic Sea to revive its ailing economy, according to the country's president. Ivo Josipovic told CNN that Croatia is searching for partners in the energy sector to help reveal oil and gas "green fields" in the waters that separate the Balkan nations and ...
WASHINGTON - Amazon, the largest online retailer of books, movies, music and games, Friday offered its Kindle e-book platform to fan fiction authors to sell some of their work. Fan fiction is literature inspired by popular books, shows, movies, comics, music, and games. Publication outside of blogs and online fanzines is often difficult because of copyright issues. Amazon Publishing has ...
BEIJING - China is planning to steadily push forward market-oriented reform in its interest rates and exchange rates mechanisms this year as part of the financial sector reforms to better serve the real economy, a central bank report said on Friday. The "China Financial Stability Report (2013) released by the People's Bank of China stressed that it would be steadily promoting the interest ...
Sarah's Key (Elle s’appelait Sarah)
Sarahs Key (Elle sappelait Sarah) is a consistently engrossing, sometimes stunning, but emotionally uneven film that literalizes its thematic insistence on the importance of storytelling in maintaining historical memory by making an often neglected chapter of the Holocaust the ... ...
DUBLIN/ WASHINGTON Ireland-based biotechnology firm Elan Thursday rejected Royalty Pharma's increased $6.4 billion takeover bid, shortly after the U.S. firm cut the acceptance bar for its latest offer to 50 percent plus one share. Royalty raised its hostile cash bid to $12.50 per share on Monday, from $11.25 previously, but made the new offer conditional on Elan shareholders rejecting, at a ...
LONDON - In a critique of the United Kingdom's austerity programme, the International Monetary Fund Wednesday urged the Europe's third largest economy to rebalance the policy to make the transition to a high-investment and more export-oriented economy. "The UK could boost growth by bringing forward measures already included in its fiscal plan, such as spending on infrastructure and job ...
Spurred on by a ruling on the significance of safety problems at the San Onofre Nuclear Generating Station, the international environmental group Friends of the Earth has redoubled efforts to establish trial-like public hearings on a proposal to restart the power ...
A nearly yearlong overhaul of Coast Highway 101 in Solana Beach is heading down the home stretch, and local merchants -- at least those who survived a drastic drop in business during the construction -- couldn't be ...
Who needs Republicans when Wall Street has the Democrats? With the help of congressional Democrats, the Street is rolling back financial reforms enacted after its near meltdown. According to ...
We must define the nature and scope of this struggle, or else it will define us. Neither I, nor any President can promise the total defeat of terror. What we must do is dismantle networks that pose a direct danger.
The U.S. president was speaking on his administration's counter terrorism policy.
Sweet Home Hotel
It is not often we review a hotel of this size, or of this budget range, so it was a ...Keep reading
Record Your Vote
The Boy Scouts of America National Council has resolved to accept gay members. Do you agree with this policy?
Europe SunEurope Sun | All the News from Europe
The Sun covers all of Europe, and we are not talking about the weather. The Europe Sun is a major source of news for Europeans everywhere. People every day turn to the Europe Sun for breaking regional news, as well as stories from the vast number of countries and key cities in Europe. The online newspaper also brings you news coverage from the international scene, and business news and reports from the financial markets. There is a news poll regularly updated with votes on topics making the news. European and world sports cater to the sporting fans, and there are news articles about travel, lifestyle, stories on seniors and more. Weather forecasts are live. Covering Europe is no easy task, but The Europe Sun makes it look so. You can buy a newspaper in each city, or even the occasional regional newspaper, or you can look to the Europe Sun. Every day you will find news headlines from European countries Switzerland, Spain, Macedonia, the Netherlands, Russia, Portugal, Poland, Greece, Ireland, Italy, Austria, Belgium, Croatia, Cyprus, Finland, France, Hungary and Greece. Of course there is a heap more. Get the big stories from Paris, Vienna, Amsterdam, Brussels, Athens, Berlin, Dublin, Monte Carlo, Lisbon, Madrid, Barcelona, Stockholm, Geneva, and Zurich. Whether in Europe, on your way to, or from, this great land, go via The Sun.
CANNES - A second suspected jewellery heist was reported at the Cannes Film Festival, with a single necklace by Swiss jeweller De Grisogono worth nearly $2.6 million reported missing.
In the case of the first gem loot at the Cannes Film Festival, thieves literally tore out a safe filled with roughly $1 million-worth of jewels from a hotel room.
The second time around the event took place at the five-star Hotel du Cap-Eden-Roc in the exclusive resort town of Cap d'Antibes, despite the presence of 80 security guards and local police keeping watch over the jewels.
Fawaz Gruosi, founder of the Swiss firm, said the necklace was part of the company's 20th anniversary collection paraded by 20 models at the glitzy event at the Hotel Du Cap-Eden-Roc outside Cannes on Tuesday night. Sharon Stone and Paris Hilton were among the guests.
When a check was made at the end of the night the diamond necklace was missing.
"We don't know exactly what happened ... it was one of the most beautiful items we had," Gruosi told Reuters Television.
"The police are trying to figure out what happened."
Fawaz Gruosi said in a statement: "These incidents are rare; it is actually the first time it has happened in our 20-year history." ...
- Hampton beats Brussels Open No. 2 seed
- Cycling - Martin storms to TT win in Belgium
- China’s Peng Shuai stuns American Stephens in Brussels
- SME funds geared for launch this year
- Flemish Ballet and Opera to receive additional 791 000 euros per annum
- Hoffenheim wins first leg against Kaiserslautern
- Werder Bremen signs striker Petersen from Bayern
- Cockroaches outsmart sugar traps
- Hashish from India seized in Germany
- Bayern Munich look to lay Champions League demons to rest - video
- Italian held in Thailand in $8 mn fraud case
- Pope hopes Chinas Catholics can pray without fear
- Bullets mailed to Berlusconi prosecutor
- Italian man immolates himself after losing home
- Berlusconi at centre of massive tax fraud says court
- $2.6 mn necklace spirited away at Cannes Film Festival
- Psys look-alike dupes stars at Cannes
- Paris Hilton to record second album
- Bidder pays $1.5M for space trip with Leonardo DiCaprio
- Lacazette called up to join Frances squad
- Royal Dutch Shell Officials Bayelsa Community Disagree Over Cause Of Oil Spills In Taylor Creek
- Bond set at $500K for transient accused of double stabbing near Nederland
- Music Review New Amsterdam Singers at St. Ignatius of Antioch Episcopal Church
- TBU Rotterdam overwhelming success as 200 delegates attend fifth conference
- Four new faces in Netherlands squad for Asia trip
- Glow-in-Dark Roach Worlds Smallest Frog Among Top New Species
- Real Madrid sign Casemiro
- European golf tour head apologises for using coloured term while referring to Woods-Garcia spat
- Spanish princess investigated for fraud
- 90-75 Real Madrid go 1-0 up against Blusens
Subscribe to our Newsletter
Get the latest Europe Sun headlines delivered to your inbox.
- EU regulators seek tax transparency from companies
- Luka Magnottas Berlin arrest a fluke prompted only by police cadet training report
- Emerald Downs Polish Dollar in best form of career
- Immigrant Drama Shoots for Top Cannes Prize
- Artist Kapoor draws on Berlins dark history in new show